Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Martha T Barker

The person I have been working these past couple of months has been a Martha T Barker or Martha Thornhill. I was able to find Canadian Census records of her whearabouts between 1851 and 1891. I had an approximation birth year of 1821 and a possible marriage year of 1843, but that was about it. I wanted to know exactly when and where she was bor so I could also find her parents, and continue the line further back. After 1891 Martha seems to have dissapeared. There were no census recods or death records that showed any further places of residence. Thus began the hunt for Martha T Barker.
My initial attack was to find all of the Martha Barkers in the 1841 Census and try and narrow down the number of hits to just a few. I then tried to find a match using the marriage location I had and tried to see if any correlated. To my disappointment, none did. Since I am not familiar with Brittish culture, I couldn't piece together any possible scenarios to find a match either. Using a notepad really comes in handy. I wrote down the information what I already had on her. I wrote:
Status:
I have census records up until 1891
Husband Edward died in 1906
Daughter sailed from England and drwond in a shipwreck (1899)
Action:
Locate husband during 1891 census
Figure why daughter (Alice) was going to England
Might have to find childrens whereabouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment