Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Inception

Among all the entertainment hype and reality shows, I'd have to admit that the sound of doing genealogy doesn't sound that exciting. My father was the one who got me interested in finding out who I have descended from while completing a boy scout merit badge.

The technology fifteen to twenty years ago made the hobby quite daunting. These days genealogy improvement has made leaps and bounds from information stored on paper in filing cabinets, to computer programs, and eventually internet based programs like ancestry.com. Ancestry.com is a very informative website, however you must pay a monthly or annual fee in order to get the full use. There are many genealogy search sites that offer free service, but I mostly am using ancestry.com and the free pilot search from familysearch.org. I just found a website geni.com that allows you to build a family tree, but I haven't used it enough to know if it's worth the time investment.

Genealogy is not easy, but can be very rewarding. Some people are easy to find while others may seem near impossible. I hope by recording my experiences in finding lost relatives long I can give the reader ideas on how to find their ancestors as well as receive advice. Some days you can make a lot of hits, and sometimes it takes months before you find something.

No comments:

Post a Comment